Cryptopolitan
2026-05-20 22:37:35

Trump Mobile draws scrutiny over user data leaks, false 'Made in America' claims

Eleven months after its launch at Trump Tower, Trump Mobile is facing a barrage of scandals involving customer privacy violations, misleading advertising, and potential fraud. Aside from these problems, the company, promoted by Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, is now the subject of an official inquiry from a U.S. Senator. Is Trump Mobile leaking my address and phone number? Popular YouTube investigators Coffeezilla and penguinz0 (Cr1TiKaL) recently released videos warning the public about a security vulnerability on the official Trump Mobile website after they were contacted by a security researcher. Both YouTubers were contacted because they ordered the gold-colored T1 phone, which they clarified was bought out of curiosity, not political support. The researcher contacted them specifically because their personal information, like their mailing and email addresses, was found sitting in an exposed database. “Do not order on trumpmobile.com unless you’re ready for your information to be leaked. It’s basically that bad,” Coffeezilla said in his video . The researcher and penguinz0 said they had tried repeatedly to contact Trump Mobile but were met with no response. However, PCMag reported that the company’s customer support acknowledged the issue and said it was “working on a fix,” though no timeline was provided. The security flaw reportedly allows anyone with basic technical knowledge to scrape the entire pre-order database, including names, physical addresses, and email addresses. Some media outlets previously cited an estimate of 590,000 pre-orders for the Trump phone, but the unique IDs in the leak show only approximately 30,000 total phone orders from roughly 10,000 unique customers. Is the Trump T1 phone really ‘Made in America’? Senator Mark Warner, Vice Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and a former tech entrepreneur who co-founded the wireless firm Nextel, recently sent a detailed letter to Trump Mobile CEO Patrick O’Brien. In the letter, Warner noted that when the company launched in June 2025 at Trump Tower, it promised “the highest levels of quality and service” and a “made-in-America” cell phone. Nearly one year later, reports that the $499 T1 phone appears to be the same device available from online sellers for approximately $175, and is likely manufactured in China emerged. Many have pointed out that the phone looks nearly identical to a two-year-old HTC model (HTC U24 Pro), suggesting it is simply a rebranded device. “Trump Mobile’s shifting strategy raises questions as to the identities of the companies from which Trump Mobile sources its phones and components, and what security and privacy precautions, if any, Trump Mobile has undertaken,” Warner wrote . He gave the company until May 25, 2026, to answer 14 specific questions , including whether any components for the phone are gotten from China and exactly which original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) supply the motherboard, CPU, battery, modem, and camera systems. Further embarrassing the company, observers noted that the American flag printed on the T1 phone has only 11 stripes instead of 13. Some have suggested the graphic designer intended the “TRUMP MOBILE” logo to act as the 12th stripe. What happens to the $59 million in customer deposits? At launch, Trump Mobile collected $100 deposits from customers eager to secure the T1 phone. Based on the original estimate of 590,000 pre-orders, that totaled roughly $59 million. However, information from the leaked data suggests the real amount is approximately $3 million in deposits currently held by the company. Regardless of the total, customers face the same problem: the phone may never arrive. Senator Warner wrote in his letter that Trump Mobile quietly changed its pre-order terms to state that the deposit “does not create a contract for sale” and that the company “does not guarantee that a Device will be produced or made available for purchase.” Warner also questioned the company’s cellular service plan. The “47 Plan” is advertised as “Unlimited Talk, Text & Data” for $47.45 per month. However, the fine print reveals that the data speeds are reduced after 20GB is consumed in a 30-day period. Group calls or conference calls on the device “may cost extra,” and video content “may be slow to load.” If you're reading this, you’re already ahead. Stay there with our newsletter .

가장 많이 읽은 뉴스

관련뉴스

Crypto 뉴스 레터 받기
면책 조항 읽기 : 본 웹 사이트, 하이퍼 링크 사이트, 관련 응용 프로그램, 포럼, 블로그, 소셜 미디어 계정 및 기타 플랫폼 (이하 "사이트")에 제공된 모든 콘텐츠는 제 3 자 출처에서 구입 한 일반적인 정보 용입니다. 우리는 정확성과 업데이트 성을 포함하여 우리의 콘텐츠와 관련하여 어떠한 종류의 보증도하지 않습니다. 우리가 제공하는 컨텐츠의 어떤 부분도 금융 조언, 법률 자문 또는 기타 용도에 대한 귀하의 특정 신뢰를위한 다른 형태의 조언을 구성하지 않습니다. 당사 콘텐츠의 사용 또는 의존은 전적으로 귀하의 책임과 재량에 달려 있습니다. 당신은 그들에게 의존하기 전에 우리 자신의 연구를 수행하고, 검토하고, 분석하고, 검증해야합니다. 거래는 큰 손실로 이어질 수있는 매우 위험한 활동이므로 결정을 내리기 전에 재무 고문에게 문의하십시오. 본 사이트의 어떠한 콘텐츠도 모집 또는 제공을 목적으로하지 않습니다.